The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria on Saturday said that while three Nigerians were injured in the crane incident in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, no Nigerian was among the dead.

The commission, however, stated that investigations by the Nigerian medical team and the Saudi authorities “are still ongoing on the matter.”

The spokesperson of NAHCON, Mr. Uba Mana, stated this in an interview with SUNDAY PUNCH in Abuja.

He said, “For now, no Nigerian has been confirmed to be among the dead. But three Nigerians are believed to have been injured. Investigations by the Saudi authorities are still ongoing, but not concluded. Our medical personnel are visiting hospitals to find out if there are Nigerian casualties. But so far, no Nigerian is among the dead.”

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia on Saturday began the process of identifying the 107 victims of the accident which occurred on Friday.

The Saudi authorities said the victims would first be identified before they would be buried.

This was as they promised to contact all countries that might have lost any of their citizens in the accident.

Some parts of the Grand Mosque where the crane crashed were sealed on Saturday just as government officials said the yearly pilgrimage would go on as scheduled.

Copyright PUNCH.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s