1.Osinbajo Sues Fani-Kayode, Demands N2 billion Damages
Vice Presidential Candidate of the All Progressives Congress and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) has given Peoples Democratic Party Media Campaign spokesman, Femi Fani-Kayode seven day ultimatum to apologize over his “defamatory statements” against him.
In a letter dated February 28 addressed to Mr. Fani-Kayode, Mr Osinbajo is asking for N2 billion as damages.He also asked Fani-Kayode to retract his “offensive and derogatory” publication and an apology on four Television channels and national newspapers.
“Be advised that if we do not receive your formal retraction and apology and damages as demanded within seven days of receipt hereof, we shall proceed with our client’s instructions to seek appropriate legal remedies for your publication and dissemination of defamatory statements,” Mr. Osinbajo wrote, through his lawyer, Femi Falana, also a senior advocate.
2.Fani-Kayode Sues APC Spokesman Lai Mohammed For N5bn
The Peoples Democratic Party Media Campaign spokesman, Femi Fani-Kayode, on Tuesday, demanded the sum of N5 billion as damages from the National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Alhaji Lai Mohammed, for alleged defamation Daily Independent reports.
Mohammed in response to allegations by Fani-Kayode that Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, had taken an oath to quit office in six months to enable Tinubu replace him, called to question the mental state of Fani-Kayode.
Several newspaper reports that Mohammed was quoted to have, in response to Fani-Kayode’s statement, said: “No, we have never and will never wish anyone any ill-health.”
However, Fani-Kayode said the remark contained in the statement by Mohammed about his state of mental health are defamatory.
3.AIT sues Tinubu for N100billion
Read AIT’s press statement below :
Daar Communications Plc has reacted and rejected in their entirety the demands of Tunji Abayomi and co on behalf of Bola Tinubu over a documentary titled “Unmasking The Real Tinubu” transmitted on African Independent Television, AIT, according to a publication on its website.
The demands, which Mike Ozekhome’s chambers describe as laughable, include the stoppage of further transmission of the alleged defamatory documentary, failure which Daar communications will be made to pay twenty billion Naira representing damages.
In its reaction, Mike Ozekhome’s chambers on behalf of DAAR communications declares that AIT, in transmitting the documentary was only carrying out its constitutional responsibility to uphold the fundamental objectives of the constitution. It states further that the documentary merely stated that Bola Tinubu generally breached various portions of the Nigerian constitution. DAAR communications plc is therefore demanding a complete withdrawal of the letter under reference, which must be given wide publicity as that accorded the letter from the chambers of Tunji Abayomi.
The media company demands an apology to be published in at least four leading national newspapers and four television stations, which must include NTA, Channels and AIT. The sum of one hundred billion Naira representing aggravated, punitive and exemplary damages for the irreparable injury inflicted on AIT is also being demanded.
4.Tinubu sues AIT for N150 billion over controversial documentary
Bola Tinubu, a national leader of the All Progressives Congress, has instituted a case against the African Independent Television over a documentary on him aired on the station.
Mr. Tinubu brought an ex-parte motion before a Lagos High Court seeking an order of interim injunction restraining AIT whether by itself, agents, privies and or other persons from producing or continuing to broadcast, airing, or continuing to reproduce a documentary against Mr. Tinubu.
The motion also sought to restrain the TV station from continuing the broadcast of the documentary, which it started airing on March 1st and had been repeating daily, pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice dated 5th March, 2015.
The motion further noted that damages would not adequately compensate applicant/claimant if the ex-parte order was not granted and prayed that the rest of the suit may be extinguished if the ex-parte order was not granted.
It also noted that there was real, imminent and urgent threat and danger of continuing to decimate the person and integrity of Mr. Tinubu by AIT by continuing to air the “offensive” broadcast if the ex-parte motion was not granted.
Wole Olanipekun, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, and Tunji Abayomi are part of Mr. Tinubu’s legal team.