1.EXAMINATIONS FOR OCT/NOV 2014 ,MAY/JUNE 2015 AND OCT/NOV 2015 WILL BE BASED ON THE OLD SCHEME/SYLLABUS/TEXTS SHOWN BELOW…
2.Schools will start preparing their SS1 and SS2 students for 2016 from this term using the scheme below while using scheme and texts above with SS3 for MAY/JUNE 2015
3.Any SS2 student hoping to take Literature in GCE of Oct/Nov 2015 will be tested using the above schemes and texts.Maybe it is advisable exclude Literature since teachers’ attention would have shifted by then to the scheme below
SCHEME OF EXAMINATIONS FOR 2016-2020 (to be taught to ss1 and ss2 from 2014/2015)
There will be three papers – Papers 1, 2 and 3. Papers 1 and 2 will a composite paper and will be taken at one sitting.
Paper 1 will be a multiple choice objective test. It will contain fifty questions distributed as follows:
(a) Twenty questions on General Knowledge of Literature;
(b) Five questions on an unseen prose passage;
(c) Five questions on an unseen poem;
(d) Twenty context questions on the prescribed Shakespearean text.
Candidates will be required to answer all the questions within 1 hour for 50 marks.
Paper 2 will be an essay test with two sections, Sections A and B. Section A will be on African Prose and Section B on Non-African Prose.
Two essay questions will be set oneach of the novels prescribed for study. Candidates shall be required to answeronequestion only from eachsection within 1 hour 15 minutes for 50 marks.
Paper 3 will be on the Drama and Poetry components of the syllabus. It will be put into four sections, Sections A, B. C and D as follows:
Section A: African Drama
Section B: Non-African Drama
Section C: African Poetry
Section D: Non-African Poetry
There shall be two questions on each of the prescribed drama texts for Sections A and B. There shall also be two questions for each of the poetry sections ie Sections C and D.
Candidates shall be required to answer one question from each of the sections, making a total of four questions. The paper will take 2 hours 30 minutes to complete and will carry 100 marks.
(i) The Unseen Prose passage for Paper 1 shall be about 120 – 150 words long.
(ii) Only context questions shall be set on the Shakespearean text. The context questions will test such items as theme, characterization, style and setting in the Shakespearean text.
(iii) No essay question shall be set on the Shakespearean text.
SET TEXTS FOR 2016 – 2020
(1) AmmaDarko – Faceless
(2) BayoAdebowale – Lonely Days
(1) Richard Wright – Native Son
(2) Patience Swift – The Last Goodman
(1) Oliver Goldsmith – She Stoops to conquer
(2) Lorraine Hansberry – A Raisin in the Sun
(1) Frank Ogodo Ogbeche – Harvest of Corruption
(2) Dele Charley – The Blood of a Stranger
(1) Birago Drop – Vanity
(2) GbemisolaAdeoti – Ambush
(3) Gabriel Okara – Piano and Drums
(4) Gbanabam Hallowell – The Dinning Table
(5) Lenrie Peter – The Panic of Growing Older
(6) Kofi Awoonor – The Anvil and the Hammer
(1) Alfred Tennyson – Crossing the Bar
(2) George Herbert – The pulley
(3) William Blake – The School Boy
(4) William Morris – The Proud King
(5) Robert Frost Birches – Birches
(6) William Shakespeare – Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s Day?